Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sunday Scribblings – where you live

Assignment: Write the story of why you moved to the place where you currently live.

Once upon a time --- a v-e-r-y- l-o-n-g- time ago - I moved from a large house in the country to a small house in the city. The small house sat on a small yard next to many other small houses – In a BIG CITY. It had small rooms – which was good because I was very busy and did not have much time to spend in the little house. On the few days when I did have time to sit down and think, I missed my house in the country.

Time passed – as it always will. Many things happened – both good and ill.

Suddenly things happened - lots and lots of things happened - I could not stay in the little house in the BIG CITY – I had to move….

I needed clean air. Yes – clean air! No more pollution – no more mold, no more smog and most of all --- no more “Petro-chemicals.”

Where would I go? Where could I go?

I made a list: trees, flowers, birds, peace and quiet and of course – no more “petro-chemicals.” I worked on the list some more - I wanted a place where I could watch the animals as they passed by, where I could watch the birds build their nests and their babies hatch, a place where I could sit and watch the grass grow.

Well you know how these stories go-
The knights went out --- oops, guess not ----
We looked, friends looked, even strangers looked… and one day… a friend said “come and look.”

We looked – and we found a little house, high on a hill above a river. A little house in a BIG WOODS. Pine trees, hemlock trees, maple trees, oak trees, aspen trees --- trees and more trees. All around the house were tracks – turkey tracks, deer tracks, squirrel tracks and even bear tracks. The little house was sitting in the middle of the clearing, waiting for someone just like me.

And we lived happily ever after.
The end or at least until the next chapter

7 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah said...

Oh. I love it so very much. I envisioned every step - right up to the knight, and then had to quickly shift gears. I'm so happy you found your nest in the woods. It sounds enchanted.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

I love trees! Must have them to feel truly at home.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Delightful!

9:30 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

What a lovely story! Sounds like you've found your ideal home.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Great story.
"I wanted a place where I could watch the animals as they passed by, where I could watch the birds build their nests and their babies hatch, a place where I could sit and watch the grass grow." - This is what I do each day..

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this modern version of the Little House In the Big Woods - Well done!
Your home sounds lovely.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

rebekah
Thanks for coming by and for your comment - I really am enjoying this nest in the trees :=)


jennifer and kara
writing is fun isn't it?

paris parfait
This is nice --- I wonder if we ever really find our ideal home? The things that aren't said are bears, black flys, ice in the winter... there are ups and downs to life and to each story.

kristine
how great for you to be able to enjoy the beauty of nature

tinker
i'm really glad you liked the story

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home