Saturday, April 29, 2006

What Do I want to be when I grow up

What do you want to be when you grow up--- In response to Lisa's prompt

Wow – I keep telling myself that I have to get this figured out.

I used to say I would deal with choosing a career when my children got old enough to go to school. By the time they were all in school, I was busy working as a program director, teaching alternative dispute resolution and too busy to think about things such as --- What would I like to be …?

My children got older; they went away to college, even got married…. Now I was busier than ever… moved across the country and said “Now is the time to deal with my dreams.” Got a job offer that sounded interesting – working with an agency that provided services during disasters… soon my life was again so filled that there was little time except to fall into bed and dream of vacation or a boring office job :)

On the rarer occasions - when time allowed - I thought of going back to college. Perhaps I would get a degree in counseling, or a less stressful job in something like computer graphics….

Time kept passing … another move and suddenly I was directing another program…. Busier than I had dreamed was possible. Now my grandchildren were in school. My children were making career changes. Thoughts of retirement kept flashing through my head; I actually worked through some guidance material and …

Suddenly – I was retired. All the dreams had melted into the holes in the ozone layer.
I have time; I write, I sketch, I take photographs and I am learning computer graphics.
So – the dreams are becoming a reality at last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home