Thursday, April 27, 2006

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow-Up?

Try this...use the phrase "What did you want to be when you grew-up?" and sprint with pen and paper for ten minutes. Don't edit it, just let it flow, let it be.
___________________________________________________
Here is In Otter Space's ten minute sprint.......
____________________________________________________

Remember when you were little and the third question every new adult you were introduced to asked, "What do you want to be when you grow-up?"

I wanted to be a teacher. I thought maybe I'd teach during the day and write novels at night. It sounded like a great plan. Just to show how serious I was about writing I kept a spiral notebook handy and wrote stories all the time. Even when I should have been paying attention in Geometry class.

I'm grown-up and officially not a teacher or a writer. And I really stink at Geometry. I have three kids and through them I certainly have done my share of teaching. I'm a writer, but not the type I thought I'd be at this point in my life. I do write daily in my morning pages. I also keep another blog where I make a daily post about different people I have known in my life. Since I'm 43, the limit for me is 43 words each day. That is a challenge! Some days my words flow like a Spring river, then other days my words get choked like a trickle of water in the desert. I keep writing though, come rain or shine, writer's block or writer's feast.

I even had an article published in the little local paper a few weeks back. Hooray for me to finally make this late blooming transformation.

But where am I going with any of this? Is this it? Is this as good as it is going to get for me? At some point as adults we must learn to settle, realizing we aren't going to be the next Great Creative to hit the big time. Most of the time I'm content with where I am at, but once in a while I wish for more. I wish I could push my talent a bit further and shine like the bright star I thought I was going to be when I was little.

What do you want to be when you grow-up? What are you doing to keep your dreams alive?

Ready- Set- SPRINT!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are a writer. Your blog writing is engaging, thoughtful, unstuffy and real. Congratulations on getting an article published in your local paper. I hope you keep having those kind of experiences with your writing -- the feedback you get will inspire you!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are a writer. Your blog writing is engaging, thoughtful, unstuffy and real. Congratulations on getting an article published in your local paper. I hope you keep having those kind of experiences with your writing -- the feedback you get will inspire you!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

Can't believe that blogger bounced my comment off of this blog :=)

Great post - I have responded to your prompt.

May words continue to flow out of your pen like a spring river.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home